[CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update

ku8e ku8e at ku8e.com
Thu Apr 1 21:38:32 EDT 2021

A distributed operation is no different than what the IARU HQ stations do in the IARU contest so it's nothing new. Note that the ARRL doesn't count these scores in IARU for any awards. They are listed in the results more for information ( i.e. bragging) purposes. So say WW1X is operating 20 meters from a station in Maine and at W8JI's in Georgia. How to you prove you aren't alternating CQ's between these two stations which is clearly breaking CQ's rules? It doesn't matter if you have a lockout between the two stations. It's still cheating.I also who at CQ came up with this category to begin with? It seems lately they've made rules to prevent cheating and seems odd they would add a category which would be easy to cheat in.JeffSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Michael Walker <va3mw at portcredit.net> Date: 4/1/21  8:59 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: k9yc at arrl.net Cc: CQ Contest <cq-contest at contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update JimI love what you say 99% of the time and often you beat me to it as you know.How is a DM any different than a Multi-Multi (ok, there is a bigdifference) but you get the idea.   The number of operators you are goingto work is the same except no one is getting on a plane to go do it.Does it make them feel better?  Why do you care?  :)   If it makessomeone's day who normally can't afford 7 days vacation and the cost to flyto some MM and they have fun for 1 contest a year, then it is a win.  Behappy for their happiness.   Recognize the technology advancements.As grumpy old farts (most of us) it is hard being grumpy 100% of the time.I can see people's cortisol levels spiking!  LOLWould you not like to operate from the East coast once or twice just so youwere part of the eastern wall rather than fighting to get over it. Maybeenjoy a huge run rate for a while?I think it is a great idea and the impact is minimal.    Besides, look atall the youths (and I mean youths) that had a blast doing it.Would the decision be the same if you were 20 again and part of it?  Or,would you shoot it down?  Remember when we always wanted to dig  intosomething new?What does bug me is the unassisted / assisted combining.Mike va3mwOn Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 6:44 PM Jim Brown <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:> On 4/1/2021 5:56 AM, PY2NY wrote:> > MM Distributed is a new sensation> > around the world.>> I repeat, it is a TERRIBLE idea. The only thing it does is make those> operators feel better. I want MORE stations to work, not fewer, those> stations with their own calls.>> 73, Jim K9YC>>> _______________________________________________> CQ-Contest mailing list> CQ-Contest at contesting.com> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest>_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest