[CQ-Contest] PSE COPY

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Feb 15 22:55:06 EST 2021

On 2/15/2021 6:38 PM, Dennis Moore wrote:
> As far as leading with your call, aka KK9a de NJ6G NJ6G, in crowded
> conditions it helps to identify who exactly you're calling. I responded
> to a couple of CQs this past weekend only to have two stations come back
> to me. Neither of them realized the other was on freq. I had to then
> include the CQing station call sign to identify whose CQ I was
> responding to.

That's a fairly unusual situation (I ran into two running stations close
enough to be confused fewer than six times in 28 hours and 1450 QSOs.
When I did, if I was the running station I would QSY to avoid NILs. When
I was S&P, unless I really needed the mult, I kept moving rather than
calling, for the same reason. My calling macro is my call twice. When I
did call in that situation, I sent his call followed by my usual macro.

That said, to avoid confusion as the running station, I begin and end my
QSL message with his call. For example, KK9A TU KU6W CQ. But when I'm
the S&P station, I respond to the running station's report with 599 and
the QSO number.

Champion RTTY contester W0YK (P49W, KY0W) goes a step further. His QSL
macro omits the other station's call, and he adds the "his call" when he
thinks it is needed.

Good macros are critical. My resend number macro is the number twice; if
conditions are rough, I'll hit it twice. My request for a repeat is NR?
NR?, and I won't repeat it unless the other station is not responding.

73, Jim K9YC (KU6W in WPX)