[CQ-Contest] ergonomic chair for improving BIC time

David Jaffe davidajaffe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:42:14 EST 2022

Comments from someone (me) who has had lower back pain since his early
20's....

Several messages in this thread talk about price.  If you can find the
money somewhere, spend it on a good chair.  It will make a big difference
in your ability to operate not only now, but into the future.

The best chairs are adjustable in various dimensions:

1. Back height (the main thing is the position of the lumbar). Also pay
attention to any lumbar "bump". These may be in the wrong place, e.g. too
high.  An alternative is to get a lumbar pillow.
2. Seat height.  Your feet should touch the floor, especially important for
SSB foot pedals
3. Seat tilt, independent of back (forward and backwards; should be able to
lock at any tilt).  Many cheap chairs don't have this.  It helps a lot.
4. Overall tilt (coupled with back).  Ideally, can lock or "rock" with
adjustable tension
5. Armrest height (optimally, ability for arms to be removed also)
6. (optional) Some chairs even have "dynamic" features where they subtly
move around as you sit on them, forcing you to reposition yourself
slightly. I don't have a strong opinion about this feature, but it seems
intriguing.

Even with all of the above, you need to try the chair in person. The chair
has to fit your body.  Just because a chair is highly-rated or expensive
doesn't mean it will work for you.

(By the way, I chose my car based solely on the degree of adjustability of
the seat. I got a lot of strange looks from the salesmen who saw me
measuring seat tilt with a protractor.)

Finally, a sit-stand desk (preferably motorized) is indispensable.  You can
get an excellent one for $800.  There are also lower-priced sit-stand desks
where the adjustment is manual.

GL & 73,
Dave
WD6T