[CQ-Contest] Remote operating software - for NCJ column

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sun Jan 16 12:37:21 EST 2022

On 16/01/2022 15:38, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

> From the number of comments I've received, both on the reflector and
> off, it appears that a prime subject these days is remote operation.

It appears that N4ZR has little or no interest in using software to
modernize contest exchanges, even though he specifically asked for
comments on call history files.  The fact that remote operation is a hot
topic is no reason to disregard other aspects of contesting software.
As confirmation of his intent, N4ZR has unilaterally changed the subject
of this thread from "Software Column in NCJ - Need Ideas"  to  "Remote
operating software - for NCJ column"

How relevant is remote contesting to NCJ?  After all, the software
issues relate to station control and signal relay over wide-area
networks, to internet dependence, and to internet latency - in short, to
wired communications.  Internet-based apps can and do complement
ham-band contesting, but when contest QSOs cannot exist without being
hosted on the internet it marks them out as something completely
different from person-to-person, RF-all-the-way QSOs.

There has been some negative comment on this thread about remote
stations for hire (subscriber remote operation).   It seems to me that
once remote contesting is accepted on exactly the same terms as hands-on
contesting, it's hypocritical to complain about remote stations for
hire.  No one complains about hands-on stations for hire in exotic DX
locations.

Remote contesting is here to stay, but to regard it as no different from
hands-on contesting is both misguided and foolish. Let remote contesters
compete only with one another.

73,
Paul EI5DI