[ct-user] Voice DVP, DVK, W9XT or Kenwood DRU??

William R Liporace NA2NA William R Liporace NA2NA <kb2hun@wizvax.net>
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:47:30 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to give some thought to the whole Voice Keyer process. I have
tried many of the voice keyers out there.  I will give you some of the
pros and cons of them.

Kenwood or Yaesu Keyers:  These work fine.  Some people have been able to
key them from CT or any of the logging software.  Not as simlpe or
straight forward.  Still good products, but are pricey for what they are.

Neltech DVK: Still abunch of these around.  Power supply circuit is the
weak point, but are great external keyers.  They can be switched from
radio to radio, by differant cables. This can be keyed by any software or
as a stand alone voice keyer (like a CW memory keyer). Not in
amateur business, but does still repair them

K1EA DVP Cards:  These cards are PC based strictly SSB cards.  These a
great card for the Multi op enviroments.  They are very well made and are
easy to use with all contesting logging software.  This card does use hard
drive and lots of ram depending on how you use it.

W9XT  Cards are a CW & SSB memory Keyer PC based cards.  This also works
with all Conesting Software.  the biggest point for these cards is that
all keying is done from the computer and one less item on the desk.  One
bad point is that it does not have op on/op off feature.  This card also
does NOT use any hard drive or system resources (ram & etc...).

I have both the W9XT & K1EA cards. I also have the use of a Neltech keyer.
I have not used the MFJ keyer and have no intent to.  I have used the
Kenwood & Yaesu keyers as back ups or as a second radio keyer.  I am no
expert, but trying to show an semi non partial veiw and information to
make it easier to buy the right product.  In some situations I like K1EA
card better other contests I like the W9XT card.  Just my 2 cents worth.

73 Will

William Liporace NA2NA           na2na@wizvax.net
763 Huntingdon Drive             NA2NA @ K2TR (yccc packet cluster)
Niskayuna, NY 12309
518-346-3804 home                518-786-8656 321 work