[ct-user] NETTSR and new computers - it works!

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Sun Sep 17 18:57:27 EDT 2006

kd4d at comcast.net wrote:

>I think Byterunner has a parallel
>port PCI card with a DOS driver, so it may be possible to use that.

I'm using a Byterunner 2-serial / 1-parallel port PCI card in my HP
desktop.  It worked fine with CT (DOS) and parallel port CW keying to
the rig.

Unfortunately, despite messing around in WinXP Control Panel, I could
only get the parallel port to come up as LPT3 (not LPT2), and some other
ham application I used it with only went as high as LPT2, so I had to
swap the two parallel ports and put the CW keying on the HP's internal
parallel port hardware (as LPT1) and put my old printer on the
Byterunner LPT3.  Nonetheless, it *does* work just fine with CT (DOS).

I also have a Byterunner USB <--> 2-serial adapter for my laptop.  But
the USB <--> parallel adapter is only meant to run printers and
terminates in a Centronix (IEEE-1284B) connector, not a parallel port
DB25.  The best you can do for laptops is get one of their PCMCIA <-->
DB25 female parallel port adapters (model LPT-PCM), providing your
laptop still has a PCMCIA (aka "PC Card") slot.

Bud, W2RU