[ct-user] K3 radio control from a laptop without COMPORTS

Dave Zeph zephd at indy.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 07:11:56 EST 2009

Jeff .... I think your problem is trying to use COM6.  If you go through the
CT-WIN Menu Setup, the only COM Port Choices are COM1, COM2, COM3, and COM4.
I think you would be more successful configuring CT-WIN by stepping though
that setup process.

If your USB to Serial Converter installed itself on COM6, and you have no
COM4, for example, you can easily CHANGE THE COM PORT ASSIGNMENT.  Go to:

1) START-->SETTINGS-->CONTROL PANEL-->SYSTEM-->HARDWARE-->DEVICE MANAGER
2) Click on the "+" next to PORTS (COM & LPT)
3) Double-click on the USB to Serial Adapter that was assigned COM6
4) Click on the PORT SETTINGS Tab
5) Click on the ADVANCED Button
6) In the COM PORT NUMBER Drop-down Box, change the Port Number to a COM
   Port Number you know is not actually in use.  I would recommend you use
   COM 3 or COM4 and not COM2
7) Then go back through the Menu Setup and select that COM Port for RADIO1
   At 4800 Baud.

BTW, my K3 works FB at 38400 Baud.  I'd set CTWIN and the K3 both at 38400.

Bottom line is that just because a particular COM Port assignment is made
doesn't mean that it can't be changed.  The only requirement is that the new
COM Port not be in use elsewhere.

73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX