[Fourlanders] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 21 01:07:20 EDT 2006

Hello everyone.  I am the Southeastern Division representative to the
recently formed VHF UHF Advisory Committee (VUAC).  The VUAC was formed to
provide a resource of experienced VHF/UHF/Microwave hams to advise on
VHF/UHF/Microwave contesting and related matters.  The VUAC has received
it's first assignment which I have copied below verbatim:

Is there a rationale to change the VHF/UHF contest rules to not allow the
use of 144.200 (the 2 meter SSB calling frequency) during ARRL contests?

   A.  Is there sufficient reason for change?
   B.  If not a rules change...is there adequate motivation to take other
action?  Such as
        a FAQ page on using calling frequencies during contests, or the
creation of a page on
        "Best Practices" for contest operation on the two meter calling
frequency.

What I am looking for are rational arguments for or against the question.  I
am not looking for long diatribes about the evils of the ARRL or whatever
your pet peeve is.  This is not really my preferred method for getting input
on something like this but I couldn't think of any other way to get a quick
snapshot of what my constituents think about this.  I am mostly interested
in input from folks in the Southeastern Division (Florida, Georgia and
Alabama).  I encourage everyone else to contact their representative on the
VUAC and let them know what you think.  There is no need to tie up the
reflector with this so please respond directly to me.  Thanks.