[Fourlanders] 6 meter beacon

Rogers, Ron RR124640 at ncr.com
Fri May 28 10:37:05 PDT 2010

Gordon,

To expand on Jim's comment, suggest you begin by viewing the K9MU beacon map. From here you can view the latest updated 6 meter beacon locations around the South east.  There is also a 10 meter beacon running from Stone Mountain.

http://www.k9mu.com/map/

Next, suggest you take a look at the SVHFS beacons reference. As you can see, WA4IOB already operates beacons for 144, 222, & 432 MHz within the Atlanta area.
http://www.svhfs.org/beacons.html

A comment about surplus commercial (and amateur) "FM Only" radios as beacon transmitters>
Their circuitry is not designed for "soft" CW on-off keying the way other multi-mode transceivers are. And, you cannot simply do on-off keying to the radio without tremendous chirp and "key clicks" due to oscillator stability challenges.

We have already had 1 or 2 persons attempt to build beacons doing it that way and they created wide band interference problems for other hams.  Those that are technically capable of understanding the circuitry in the FM radios, the proper test equipment, and understand what it would take to modify the radios for "soft keying" can certainly have a go of it, but it's not an simple thing to accomplish with most commercial FM transceivers.

Suggest you keep an eye out for an older 6 meter multi-mode rig that maybe has problems with the RX section but the transmitter section still works.

Hope this helps a bit........

Ron
WW8RR