[Fourlanders] John Kirkman W4WDH, SK

w4zst at windstream.net w4zst at windstream.net
Tue Dec 30 11:43:42 EST 2014

One of our SVHFS members of long standing has passed away recently.

John Kirkman, W4WDH, of Oxford GA passed away on 12/22/14 after an extended illness.  I had been wondering about his status recently and had contacted a couple of hams in his area to try to find out.

"Big John" was a well known VHFer for many years and was also a CSVHF member in addition to SVHFS.   He had worked for AT&T for many years and told me that he was responsible for installing most of the AT&T microwave tower system here in North Georgia, including the two towers here in Dahlonega and the one on Currahee Mountain in Toccoa.

John had not been on the air for the past couple of years but will be well remembered for his active years.  He was on 6 thru 432 that I know of and I also think he did some 2m EME at one time.

Bob Lear W4ZST