[kids] Kids Day at K5ZD

Randy Thompson k5zd@ultranet.com
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:04:42 -0400

Since my wife was studying for a grad school class, I took my son Andrew to
the YCCC summer picnic meeting at N6BV in New Hampshire.  Andrew is 7 and
was unfortunately the only kid there.  He wasn't having much fun.

Dean mentioned the Kids Day contest and offered his station.  Andrew was
immediately interested!

We tried calling a few stations without success so decided to call CQ.  We
were immediately answered by NM5M and I knew we were going to be all right.
 Andrew never could get Eric's call correct.  He said N5NM, then N5M5, then
N5MM...  Even so, this was Andrew's first real QSO and it was even better
since he got to talk to two girls his same age.  Thanks Eric!  You can
always count on the contest guys to be in the right place and loud!

Andrew was shy and mumbled his way through the first few QSOs.  Once he
discovered the Heathkit monitor scope he started talking louder (to make
the lines bigger) and he was much easier to understand (there's a tip for
future kid operations!).

We only operated 25 minutes before he grew tired of the game.  He did say
on the drive home that he wanted to operate more when we got back (probably
would have been the first Kids Day rover operation from two states).
 However, he fell asleep on the way and didn't wake up til after 00Z.

Thanks for the QSOs.  Andrew is still talking about it so I'm sure we will
be back.  When he related the events to my wife, he was just as excited
(and remembered all the details) of the QSOs with the adults as much as the
kids.  That tells you the whole event was a good thing!

Log:

2035Z   NM5M   Stephanie   6-1/2   Red   Texas
               Emily        6      Blue  Texas

2044Z   K4FXN  Chris       14      UK Blue (he likes basketball)  KY

2050Z   W7USA  Ray         47      Yellow   AZ

2053Z   W6JVA  Rich        60      Blue     CA

2056Z   AB0CE   Elizabeth  10      Blue     KS

We sent:

Andrew   7    Red   NH

Randy Thompson                Amateur Radio Call: K5ZD
11 Hollis Street
Uxbridge, MA 01569

H (508) 278-2355             E-mail: k5zd@ultranet.com
W (617) 461-9100 x-150