[kids] No Kids Day Cover for QST

W0CP wstinson@listenup.com
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:57:31 +0000

At 09:45 PM 7/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>It does not surprise me that this would be the response.  It is very
>seldom that they put anything other than huge antenna arrays or middle
>aged, overweight, balding men, such as myself, on the cover.  I would
>fall out of my chair if they actually put four to six kids operating on
>their cover.  I have been to Dayton and had the chance to interact with
>several of the ARRL people and others who allegedly represent youth in
>amateur radio.  The way I measure there sincerity is not what they say
>and do with the adults but how they interact with the young people on a
>one-on-one basis. I have found that for the most part they do not show
>any real interest in the young person.

I am really amazed at this statement. ARRL has a whole department, with a
sizable budget, devoted to educational activities primarily focused on kids.
No other ham radio organization spends even a fraction of the money or other
resources on youth oriented ham radio programs as does ARRL. Moreover, if
you bother to thoroughly check out QST, you will find many instances of
youth photos, particularly in the new ham companion. Moreover, if you check
back just a few months, you'll find a QST cover with a kid operating field
day. As for covers with antennas or overweight balding men, I think you are
talking about CQ, not QST.

73,   Walt    -   W0CP
<wstinson@listenup.com>

--