[Mldxcc] Question about 40M inverted V dipoles

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Thu Aug 14 14:20:51 EDT 2014

Emily,

It sounds perfect!
I have a similar antenna here: 40 meter inv Vee with apex at 45ft.

The antenna works fine at 7 and 21 MHz. that's the fundamental, and all odd
harmonics.
Even harmonics should give you a very high SWR (20 and 10 meters).

Yes, your tuner will make the radio think the antenna works well on 20, and
you can make QSOs that way. However, your signal will be about 10dB lower
than if you had a 20 meter inv Vee at the same height. The proof of that is
my performance in the IARU contest last month. While 40 and 15 worked well,
I had far fewer contacts on 20 even though everyone else thought 20 was the
"money band".

In fact, today's project is to add a 20 meter set of wires to the 40 and
make it a "fan dipole".

Aloha, Alan  AD6E  /  KH6RR