[Mldxcc] Assisted vs Unassisted (was Re: Preliminary headers SS)

Robert Hess via Mldxcc mldxcc at contesting.com
Wed Nov 19 14:12:07 EST 2014

The real power of using the Cluster during a contest is when you use it within your logging program.  The program you're using must have the ability to Telnet into one of a bunch of internet spotting networks.  Most of us seem to use N1MM (free) or Writelog (about $30).  Some also use Wintest.  The program you're using seems to be a good entry level contest program.  N1MM and Writelog, and perhaps the program you're using, will produce band-maps, showing ONLY the stations you have not worked and where they are in the band.  You see a station on 28340 on the band map, so you click on it.  Assuming your software talks to your radio, the radio goes to that frequency and inserts the call sign of the station in your log.  You work the station, hit enter, and it's logged.  It's a wonderful thing.  The only caveat is that you need to make absolutely sure that the call sign you are clicking on is correct.  Most internet spots are manually entered by other contesters and you will often find a busted call sign.  K6MM, for instance might show up as K6MN.
Bob