[Mldxcc] Rotator Mounting Question

Chris Tate - N6WM ctate at ewnetinc.com
Wed Nov 15 13:03:07 EST 2017

Jim I would think you are going to get a bunch of mixed opinions on this, mine included.

If you are at a lower location that does not get hammered with wind, -- and – your tower is relatively easy to climb, --and – you want to minimize the amount of time folks are up your tower, consider the pin… maybe.

But, if you are not willing to accept the carnage and replacement costs of a rotor taken out by the wind,  and would rather just adjust an antenna out of alignment, then I would suggest skipping the pin.  We had a new rotor up at LRG pinned, and within 1 good storm, the rotor was toast thus inflicting both a new rotor and a more complex climb/replacement.  The rotor that was in before that was up 8 years with a pin until it failed.  That tower is difficult to climb and requires expertise and correct stature to get someone up there. and I go back and forth with this one personally, right now its pinned.

As they say.. think it through and try and pick the choice that makes the most sense, but weigh all the options and consequences. In most cases,  its certainly easier to re-align an antenna than to replace a broken rotator.

~Chris
N6WM