[Mldxcc] [NCCC] Rotator Mounting Question

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Wed Nov 15 13:29:26 EST 2017

Chris gives a good summation of the choices and consequences. In San Jose,
I pinned my T2X rotor and the 3/8 bolt sheared but the rotor survived just
fine. Now that tower has a G-1000 pinned and no problems for several years.
But then I don't have serious winds to worry about. What snapped the bolt
was slippage. After a while, the bolt hole in the mast gets larger, the
slipping gets worse but you don't know it until the bolt snaps. Depending
on how much aluminum you have up there, the rotational momentum can be a
serious issue.

One point I want to add:  Consider installing the Yaesu GA-3000 rotor
absorption plate.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-ga-3000

This will save the rotor if your rotational momentum is large. Call it an
insurance policy. Here, I have a G-1000 that rotates a US Tower MA-770
pole. Rotor is at the bottom which is great for access, but the whole tower
rotates and has serious momentum. I broke one G-1000 already before adding
this to the new G-1000.

73, Alan  AD6E / KH6TU