[Mldxcc] Sent a Letter to ARRL

Fred Jensen k6dgw at foothill.net
Thu Nov 30 15:17:52 EST 2017

Well Dave, if you've been living in a cave, it's been a crowded one, I
think many of us were surprised a month or so ago.  Trying to
reconstruct what happened has been hard, records of BoD and EC committee
meetings can be a bit obscure. Here's a quick summary:

At last January's BoD meeting, the Board passed [with 3 NAY's] a
resolution adopting a code of conduct for directors and vice directors.
It's at #17 in the Board Minutes, and it's pretty harsh.  Once the BoD
takes an action, ALL directors are required to support that action
publicly in word and action.  They are prohibited from communicating
anything regarding any discussion, and may not disclose their vote [or
anyone elses'].  That last is a little puzzling, roll call votes are
published in the Board Minutes.  They are further prohibited from
expressing any opinion they may have on the issue that differs from "The
Company Line."

So far, the Ethics and Elections Committee has apparently "investigated"
two supposed violations of this policy, the last being Dick Norton,
N6AA, Southwestern Division Director.  In both cases, they were charged,
tried, and convicted of what amounts to "Crimes Against The State," a
transgression more commonly found in countries such as P5 or BY.  There
may have been others, as I said, tracking this all down to the facts is
pretty time consuming, and the BoD and officers aren't saying anything
of course.

You can find the Articles of Association, Bylaws, and the Code of
Conduct in links at the bottom of the short text block at About
ARRL-->Organization Structure.  You can find Board and other minutes by
searching on "meeting minutes" in the keyword field. The Ethics and
Elections Committee reports annually, but it doesn't say much except
that a matter was discussed.

While the initial reaction of many [which included me for an hour or so
until I thought about it] was/is to fire off a strong email and quit
their membership, I really hope that doesn't happen.  The only way to
correct this is by voting, and only members get to vote.

Hope this helps, if you can't find something you're looking for, drop me
a note, I've been archiving a lot of it and may have what you're looking
for.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn