[NA-User] Now Working...but... (Was 990/Computer Interface)

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Mon May 19 00:22:40 EDT 2003

At 05:55 PM 5/18/03 -0500, Bob Pack (NX5M) wrote:
>Now for the "but"!
>But, I am wanting to run this stuff on COM3 and after multiple attempts of
>changing irq's and such I have had no luck.  I have tried this on a pair
>of computers...nil.  Here again it may be something simple that I am
>overlooking.  I have read the archives on similiar issues but I dont seem
>to be finding the answers I need.
>
>In my station (main operating position) I use COM1 as the Internet Packet
>port. NA thinks the internet computer is nothing more than a TNC.   COM2
>is used for the link or loop.  It is ok to use COM1 for rig control when I
>am doing something where I am not going to use packet...but when we do a
>multi-op I need to use COM3 for either the LINK, TNC or RIG.

This is most likely an IRQ problem.  NA cannot share IRQs between COM
ports.  Windows let you do it, but that is irrelevent.  Each COM port has
to have its own IRQ.

Also, is the COM3 port address correct?  Go to the COM port setup screen in
CONFIG - is the hex address (at the left end of the COM3 line) what you
expect it to be?

I know this type of configuration works, I do it all the time at K8CC.  But
you have to be sure of what the port setting are, and it can be confusing
to figure out without yanking cards out of the machine and doing things by
trial and error.

Dave