[RFI] Phone RFI fixes - no ring, lower cost solutions?

Gorsline Family Gorsline Family <gorslin@pathcom.com>
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:47:59 -0500

Background  - roof mounted F12 C3S, 100 wts in downtown row house.  Not
on air much - casual DXer (310 DXCC).  Neighbours have telephone RFI, so
do I.  TVI as well - mostly channel 3 and videotapes - everyone on cable
with VCRs.  Decided it was time to fix things up - neighbours tolerant
and I get off air (even when in the pile for a new one) when asked.
But, the countries are getting a bit harder and teenagers expect
continuous telephone availability.

I eliminated my telephone RFI by grounding all spare conductors and
putting .001 caps from each side to ground at the entrance, plus and 10
#43 beads on one phone cord.  Problem is that the long distance ring
(Morse D) wouldn't fire and wouldn't trigger voice mail - local single
ring OK.  Removed caps, ring now is OK and of course, RFI is back.
Ideally, I'd  like to give the neighbours the plug-in modular filters  -
enough for every phone (say 5/house).  At $30-40 CDN each, is there a
less expensive way?

For the TVI - is there a high pass coax filter (ideally male-female to
put in the CATV line)?  Yes, lots of cable ingress/egress - 2m and CATV
channel 18, pagers on channel 17 and 21.

Any ideas appreciated.  tnx  73,  George  VE3YV / K8HI

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html