[RFI] TVI

Jim Brown jimbrown.enteract at rcn.com
Tue Jun 8 08:10:11 EDT 2004

I suggest that

1) you give the TV a  fighting chance by connecting it to a real antenna,
connecting the antenna via coax and, if required, a proper balun.

2) If the lights dim in your home with key-down of a 100 watt rig, you've got
a serious power problem.  I would troubleshoot that first. Look for things
like mis-wired outlets -- neutral and ground reversed, hot and neutral
reversed, etc. If you have dimmed lights, check the wiring at the dimmers.
This may or may not be related to your TVI. I would also hang a good
voltmeter on the AC line at various points, including the outlet where the TV
and blinking lights are plugged in, and look for any significant change in
voltage when you are transmitting.

3) The TV may be poorly shielded and poorly constructed, in which case there
may not be much you can do with it. The barrel of water treatment may be in
order -- fill a barrel with water, put the TV in twice, take it out once.

Jim Brown  K9YC