[RFI] Noise in 1998 Mercury Mystique

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu May 5 09:40:16 EDT 2005

I'm looking to install an HF rig in my Mercury Mystique. One thing I've
noticed is that there is a tremendous noise on AM when the ignition is
on. (The engine does not have to be running) Certain fringe AM stations
are barely readable. Turning the ignition to the accessory position
gets rid of the noise.

I'm thinking this might be a problem with the fuel pump or some other
energized electrical accessory.

Anyone have any tips for bypassing the noise in these vehicles?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901