[RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 04:21:29 EDT 2006

> In my search for property on which to build a new home we have come across
> several lots that are in proximity to 138kV overhead distribution systems.
> One lot, in particular, is within 150 ft of such lines (there's a lot
> between the one we are looking at and the lines). Obviously, I would not
> construct a tower/antenna system in such a manner as to come in contact with
> these lines. What is the collective experience of the group. anything in
> particular to consider or would you steer away from such property entirely?
>
> I plan to operate everything from 160-2m with primary interest being DX.
>>From an RFI standpoint I have heard that such lines can actually be quieter
> than residential distribution. True?
>
> Larry Burke  WI5A
> Friendswood, Texas

We are selling our home and 10 acres here in Florida.

Along one side of the property is a similar power line,
about 7 years old now.

It is dead quiet.

My Elmer lives almost under a similar line and operates
160-440 without any noise problems.

The power companies do not want to waste power.

Most radiated noise is from cable equipment and local
overhead wires subject to damage from tree limbs and
vehicle collisions with support poles.  These wires
may have many old patches rendering them prone to
noise.  Sometimes the pole-pig transformers go bad,
from weather and careless squirrels!

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E