[RFI] Getting a Gas Furnace, and Electric AC unit...

pfizenmayer pfizenmayer2 at q.com
Mon Aug 13 18:11:13 PDT 2012

We had a Lennox Signature A/C - gas furnace installed 7/21/2011.

The gas furrnace is a SL280UH09V36B

The outside A/C unit is  XC21-036-230-06

System has the "Icomfort themostat"

I was concerned about this because the last furnace we had came
 with a solid state Tstat and it was unusable even with PI filters at the
furnace on all Tstat  lines  (Ferroxcube VK400-4B ferrites and 0.01 disc
ceramic each end ) - had to go back to an old Honewell mercury Tstat.

The Lennox Tstat has shown no ill effects whatsoever with no additional
filtering . I had it in the contract if any problem - they have a wireless
Tstat
system that would probably take care of it if any problem.

1500 watts all HF bands - 160/80 M inv vee about 15 feet above the
 furnace and Tstat line and KT34 up about 45 feet above and to east
 and 40 M rotary dipole at 50 feet .

Have not detected any RF noise from the outside unit.

I get carriers every 18 khz from the furnace blower variable speed control.
The contratct said "they would work with me" if any problems. I have not
pushed that
to any extent because they gave me a contact number at Lennox and that was a
total waste.
There must be someone somewhere at Lennox but this guy was not it , he could
not
find anything on RFI. My question was if they had any  RF filters for the
furnace blower. .

I have probed around the furnace with an ICOM R10 receiver and its really
clean
except the 110 line into it and I am sure a good line filter will take care
of it. I told
then m I would do te filter myself if it would not void warantee and they
agreed to that and
noted it on paperwork.  .

  It is  about S5 on 10 meters  with beam (KT34 at 42 feet above and 15 feet
east) pointed  worst case
and gets progressively less as I go down oin freq - cannot even find it on
20M and
below in my  ambient noise.

73 Hank K7HP