[RFI] RFI Identification Help

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Nov 12 22:53:09 EST 2013

On 11/12/2013 7:08 PM, John Geiger wrote:
> I pretty much determined it isn't coming from my house.  This morning
> I had a little time before work, and the noise showed up again, so I
> turned off all circuit breakers except for the one that the shack was on.

You have not ruled out your shack, nor have you ruled out anything else
on that circuit you don't know about (like doorbell power supplies).
The average shack has multiple noise sources -- switch-mode wall warts,
computers, monitors, modems, Ethernet boxes, battery chargers are some
of the most common. The original 33V PSU for my SteppIR was VERY noisy,
and the SteppIR controller itself puts out noise.

To rule out your home, you must kill EVERYTHING and run your rig on
batteries. That also means shutting down computers and turning off any
UPS that might start up when the power drops.

73, Jim K9YC