[RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI

Dale J. dj2001x at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 13:25:04 EDT 2014

David, you must use a receiver in AM mode.  FM will not detect noise which is mostly amplitude modulated.  If you have a 10 meter HF yagi see if you can get a rough heading on the noise using that antenna, six meters would be better yet.  Remember noise is amplitude modulated NOT frequency modulated, so you need to listen in AM Or SSB.  An air band receiver works quite well anything cheap will do for close in and it's in the 120 Mhz plus range which is better yet.  The higher in frequency you go the closer you'll have to be to the noise.  126 or so Mhz will work fine and get you in the ball park.

I have a Icom IC-T7H which does do air band along with 144 meter and 440.  The Alinco DJ-G7 also does air band.  I believe Kenwood has some too.

GL
Dale, k9vuj