[RFI] cops zero in on noisy grow light ballasts

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Thu Feb 18 10:11:22 EST 2016

Dave,

Glad this info will be of help to you in cutting back on RFI in your
area.

Ever since I can recall, I've thought about growing fresh veggies in
the winter time. Always wished I didn't have to wait till Spring to
plant in the garden. Impossible for the most of my life, plants under
a floodlight don't do well and are too weak & spindly to survive.

Some years ago, back in my Chiropractic Office I had a spare room I
tried growing flowers in under a 1000 Watt Sodium Growlux light and I
gave them away to patients as the plants matured. It was a good
will-promo thing that was always fun but the heat it created was a
problem as I couldn't close the door and I had to blow the heat into
the main office and besides, it was expensive power required overall
and was becoming less fun so I stopped doing it and sold the fixture.

I never brought my at the time, Drake TR7 to the office to play with
so I have no idea of if it generated RFI or not.

I still have always admired the idea of growing veggies inside so
they can get the effect of full sun with no cloudy days and proper
feeding at all times. I never tried at home for the reasons above but
seeing the LED module that he has and how well the plants are growing
indoors, that the heat and cost of operation is so low, well, it got
my attention. Another biggie is I like the 50,000 hours of longevity
of the LEDs and that makes it cost effective and will probably last
for what is left of my lifetime.

I found out a couple more things for you to add to your handout about
these:

You are able to adjust the amount of light generated using an
internal control (potentiometer?) you adjust with a Philips head.

Each of the control boards offers a max of about 250W down to about
half of that.

The COBs are run in series to the driver, not parallel.

The address for the heatsink manufacturer is:
http://www.heatsinkusa.com/

Good luck with the RFI issues.

73,

Gary