[RFI] FW: ARLB022 FCC's OET Clarifies Emissions Compliance Testing for RF LED Lighting Devices

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Jul 2 03:57:00 EDT 2016

Kurt, your mention " If something was to change, what about the millions
of RFI generating devices that already exist and are causing the current
problems?"  reminds me of the lousy signal (IM products) put out by most
SS finals (RFI) and the drive for cleaner signals.  Were ALL
manufacturers forced to use dynamic predistortion in rigs and amps, it
most likely would be decades before we'd see any noticeable difference
in the bands.  With switch mode wall warts, it most likely would be many
times that as those are thing that "get thrown in a drawer" and will
show up from time to time until they fail.

I believe, most people connect the new wall wart to the new device and
though the old device may be thrown in the trash, the SMPS gets thrown
in drawer.  I have "boxes of the things". Many were power for I know not
what.

Every time a new one shows up, I have to test it.  Fortunately for us
and unfortunately for many users, they often use them if the connector
fits whether the voltage and current are proper or not. The ones I have
vary from 5VDC to 19 or 20VDC. Many are AC over a similar range. Current
capacity varies from a few hundred MA to over 10A.  Unfortunately those
for external drives vary more with the connectors than voltage or current.

"SOMETHING" has shown up in the neighborhood that totally wipes out 160
and 75.  40 is useful in spots.  Two or three weeks ago, the band was
quiet. It's audible above 40, but near the noise floor with a noise that
sounds like arcing. On the higher bands it can be heard across the
bands, but it's every 60 to 70 KHz on 40 and peaks at 10 over  On 75/80
it's more it's twenty over close to every 388 KHz.  On 160 it peaks at
ten over on  1.862, 1.925, & 1.987, or about every 62-3 KHz

It has a pause every 30 to 60 seconds that has a Berriee sound, followed
immediately buy the buzzing sound (a series of pulses close enough together
  to sound like a buzz. .

73

Roger (K8RI)