[RFI] Light Dimmer

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Tue Dec 10 18:58:02 EST 2019

I will do an FCC part 15 pre-qualification conducted emissions test next
week on a new dimmer that I have on hand, a Lutron DVCL-153P. An quick
informal test last year using my trusted DFing antenna and SW receiver
proved that it is very quiet on 40 and 20m with an incandescent load. I
did no other testing at that time.

With an LED light fixture as a load I found, by measurement of
common-mode noise, that conducted noise current from the fixture was
roughly proportional to the dimmer setting.

My RFI web page has formal test reports on various LED light bulbs and
other devices. I have found that screw-in bulbs are, as a rule, very
quiet, with GE and Feit being the best measured. I have yet to find an
LED light *fixture* that is even remotely acceptable.

http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI.html

-Gary NA6O