[RTTY] back to "first RTTY DXpedition", and history

Jerry Flanders jeflanders@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:18:27 +0000

I built a ST-6 from the plans in Ham Radio magazine in about 1971. I
designed and etched my own boards. Used it with a model 15 TTY initially.

In about 1976/77 I put together a "Digital Group" computer (proprietary
bus, not S-100) from a kit (10k memory - the "deluxe" version - thousands
of solder joints). Added a ham interface board within a year and had it on
RTTY around 1978 or 1979. The old model 15 went to work as a printer for
the computer. I still have that old computer in the attic - sold off the
model 15 long ago.

There were perhaps a dozen different proprietary bus systems before IBM
"set the standard" in 1981.

I think most of the developers of the early computers were hams, many were
on casual RTTY. Most computer clubs then had many hams or ham wannabees.

Jerry W4UK