[RTTY] re: Building Your Own Computer

Bob Boyd BobBoyd@nt1v.net
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:00:50 -0400

I've also had good luck building systems from components.  I've put two
together during the past year, both running AMD Athlon  1800+ cpu's with
512 mb of memory.  The latest used an ASUS A7V333 motherboard, and the
one prior is a TRANSCEND TS-AKXA motherboard.  Both systems include
read/write CD-ROM for backup purposes.

I'm also pleased with Windows SP as an operating system with WriteLog
and the MMTTY plugin for RTTY contesting, and LogWindows as my logging
program of choice.  As I've mentioned once before on here, Windows XP
Professional is available very inexpensively from
http://saveateaglestore.site.yahoo.net/micwinxpproo1.html.  Instead of
$299, their price is $132.99;  I've purchased two copies from them over
the past nine months and I am happy with the price as well as the
stability of the operating system.

Speaking as a satisfied customer I'd like to recommend the following two
sources for motherboards as well as other computer stuff:

www.dalco.com <http://www.dalco.com/>     --  I've been buying from them
for five years

www.jncs.com <http://www.jncs.com/>      --   they specialize in selling
motherboard bundles (mb with cpu and memory)  lot's of info on their
site

I'm still using a Byte Runner 4-port serial card that I bought several
years ago from  www.byterunner.com <http://www.byterunner.com/>
Their site offers cards which give from one to eight serial ports as
well as USB and other devices.  When I changed from Windows 98SE to
Windows XP earlier this summer, I was able to get the latest software
drivers from this site to support that serial card that I'd purchased
two years ago.  That is support!

When my monitor died recently I replaced it with a LCD-type screen
instead of conventional CRT-type.  In addition to smaller space on the
desktop, it uses less electricity and produces less heat.  Even better,
there is no RF interference.  Actually I have two LCD-type monitors here
in the shack; one is a NEC MultiSync LCD1525X and the other made by
Princeton.

I have no financial interest in any of the above mentioned products, but
I am very satisfied with them.  As always, "your mileage may vary".

Best regards to all,

Bob - NT1V

multipart/alternative
  text/html