[RTTY] SCC RTTY AA5AU SOAB HP

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 31 11:12:03 EDT 2003

                  SCC RTTY Championship

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 9
Radios: SO2R

   80:    6   11     5
   40:   77  182    38
   20:  127  304    52
   15:   62  163    36
   10:    1    3     1
------------------------
Total:  273  663   132  Total Score = 87,516

Club:

Comments:

The SCC needs to change the 10 band change per hour rule in order to get more
participation.  I started out SO2R, but got tired of trying to keep track of my
band changes, so shut one radio down.

The highlight of the contest was playing around with some settings in the MMTTY
plug-in for WriteLog on my new shack PC and finding that when I turned off the
TX BPF in MMTTY setup on the TX tab, that MMTTY and WL ran much better together.
Another change, that seemed to help my FSK transmission, was to change flow
control on the COM port sending FSK to NONE.

15M to EU was surprisingly good early in the contest.  I had to go into work for
a few hours so I missed some prime operating time.  Then 20 was decent as well.
40M was very good propagation-wise, but static crashes from storms created by
Tropical Storm Grace, made for difficult copy on weak EU stations but I was able
to pull most through.  TA2ZF and RK2FWA were surprises on 40.  80 wasn't too bad
either, but there wasn't much activity there.  My lone 10 meter contact was
KH6ND who moved me there.  I did CQ on 10 a few times, there just wasn't anyone
there.

Two recommendations for the SCC to improve this contest - drop the band change
rule for single ops and allow the use of the packetcluster.  Otherwise, it will
remain just a mediocre contest.  The year licensed multiplier is a fun one.

Thanks to all that worked me.  Teal season in two weeks, then CQWW two weeks
later - can't wait!

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com