[RTTY] USB to Serial Port Adapter

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 17 23:01:27 EDT 2004

To carry this thread a little farther.  From my research, the Prolific PL2303 is
a chip (or chip set?) that is a USB-to-serial converter.

Uli, did you build your own cable?

We cannot assume that any adapter using the Prolific PL2303 chip will work for
FSK.  The reason being, and I'm not 100% sure on this, is that the chip must be
programmed to run 5-bit code?  As seen in other chips that are capable of 5-bit
code, if the device is not programmed to run 5-bit code, it won't.

For example, the DataPro US-109A uses the PL2303 chip.  Is there anyone out
there who owns one of these and can test it on FSK?

The same goes for the BAFO model BF-810.  And probably many more I didn't find.

Uli, are you using a commercially made USB adapter?  If so, what is the brand
name?  Or did you build your own?

73, Don AA5AU