[RTTY] Ahh, the sound!!

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Thu Sep 11 21:05:49 EDT 2008

> From what I remember the bell had ended up being
> also used as a warning system on the Red Phone of some part
> of it so they would not allow the bell to be rung so much.
> Faint memory of that happening

It wasn't the "red phone" ... multiple bell signals were used
on the wire service networks as the early version of what is
now the Emergency Broadcast Network.  I can't remember for
sure - it was more than 30 years ago that I last ripped the
headline feed from the wire machine at 5 minutes before the
hour and read it live at the top of the hour during overnight
air shifts - but I think the doomsday signal was something
like 10 or 12 bells.

There were other levels of warnings for special headlines,
etc.  I know we built a stepping relay that ran off the bell
of the old model 15.  It lit a "tree" of appropriately colored
light bulbs in the control room and a couple of other places
in the station.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV