[RTTY] First RTTY Contest

K3RWN rwnewbould at comcast.net
Wed Jan 12 19:26:50 PST 2011

All these emails about macros and such makes me laugh even more about my
first attempt at RTTY contesting, probably about 2002 or so.  I was running
MMTTY as my logging program and trying to figure out how in the world can
these guys type so fast.  I knew nothing about macros or Writelog, or N1MM,
basically I knew nothing about the whole deal.  There were probably a few
guys who wanted to kill me and my lack of typing skills (LOL).  Back in the
80s there was a guy in a little town called Bentleyville, PA. who had a 2
meter RTTY repeater on the air.  The rag chewing was all RTTY no voice.  My
VIC20 and a Kantronics TNC (forgot the model) got me interested in the whole
RTTY thing.  Since then I had the opportunity to go to PJ2T (PJ2S was our
call) for the CQ WW RTTY in Sept of 2010.  What a great experience.  We did
not win anything major from there (at least I do not think we did) the
experience was wonderful.

I agree with Don, I do not much care what folks send me because I always
remember that I was the "no macro" kid and as time goes on each new comer
will learn more.  Besides that my station is very modest and any contact I
can make is one more towards my goal.

BTW we just made our reservation for the Dayton Contest Dinner.  I hope to
meet more of you this year.

I would like to personally thank Don AA5AU and Ed W0YK for their help via
this tool we call the internet.

Rich

K3RWN