[RTTY] RigBlaster Pro and FT-1000MP

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Mar 17 17:37:32 PDT 2011

> In trying to hook these up it looks like I need to have 2 serial
> ports to control the rig and do FSK. Is that right?

In general, yes.  With true serial ports FSK is on TxD as is rig
control data to the radio.

 > Is there any big reason to not use AFSK?

Not with the FT-1000MP.  You connect AFSK audio to the PACKET jack
and run RTTY in AFSK (PKT mode = LSB).   PKT mode properly centers
the narrow filters based on the frequency set in menu 6-5 (Packet
Tone Frequency) ... for "normal" RTTY set menu 6-5 = 2210 (the
middle of 2125/2295) of course with AFSK you are likely to be
jumping around a bit anyway.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV