[RTTY] BARTG Sprint 2013

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Jan 8 20:23:32 EST 2013

> You know that a G station DOES change calls within different areas
> of the UK.

*Not* when moving within England - which is equivalent to moving
within the continental 48 US states.  Going among Scotland, Wales,
Guernsey, Northern Ireland, etc. is equivalent to going amongst
Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Hawaii Alaska, Guam, etc.

If you want to insist on the proper designator for territories vs.
mainland, I'll grant you that although the FCC does not even require
someone who has received a territorial call to surrender it on
return to the mainland.

> G, F and DL are also just a little bit smaller than the United
> States.

Yes - in the case of the UK with about 10% of the amateur population
and a callsign pool (2,G,M, VP-VQ, VS, ZB-ZJ vs. AA-AL,K,N,W) just
as large.  "*YOU* can afford to allow unilateral changes in prefix
when moving among territories and the mainland - the US can't afford
to "waste" 90% of its callsign allocation.

> There are no penalties and nobody 'half a world away' trying to
> change anything there. It's entirely your choice whether you enter a
> contest and follow the rules.

Sure, you require someone to us a callsign other than the one assigned
by the regulator or they can't play in your sandbox.  I did so several
years ago when I first moved from W8 to W4 and it's no fun increasing
the length of the call by 50% just to satisfy an arbitrary rule that
does not apply to *anyone* other than US stations.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV