[RTTY] SO2R Hardware Lockout

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jul 5 14:59:31 EDT 2013

 > I've been considering the SO2R option for some time and my research
 > has led me to the microHAM line of station controllers. The one that
 > appeals to me the most from the cost, functionality and configuration
 > perspective is the u2R.

As long as "PTT via CAT Command" is *not* used (CAT commands bypass
micro2R) and one does not use an external FSK interface with separate
PTT, microHAM micro2R will only allow PTT to one rig at a time.  If
one changes transmit focus while in transmit PTT will drop immediately.

I believe the same is true with MK2R+ but I have not specifically
confirmed that behavior.

The bigger problem - more critical need for interlock - is those
configurations using separate computers for each rig.  In those cases
the only reliable means is to connect a normally closed relay in series
with PTT to each rig and use the amplifier PTT line from one rig to
activate (open) the relay on the other rig when transmitting.  A
circuit with an equivalent function for two radios can be built with
one IC (a quad NOR package), two diodes, a few resistors and two NPN
transistors.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.
        http://www.microHAM-USA.com

On 7/5/2013 1:16 PM, AL9A wrote:
> I've been considering the SO2R option for some time and my research
has led me to the microHAM line of station controllers. The one that
appeals to me the most from the cost, functionality and configuration
perspective is the u2R. Used in conjunction with their Router software
and Station Master hardware it provides the hardware lockout capability
specified by many contest rules.