[RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jul 26 14:20:50 EDT 2013

> Are you going to make a ham who happens at the time to be at sea use
> a commercial service just to let friends and family know where he is
> at?

Not to tell his friends and family where he is.  However, he should be
using a commercial service to order provisions for delivery at his
next port of call, to make travel arrangements from the next port home,
arrange for crew to meet at the next port, to advise his broker to
wire funds to his account, etc. *ALL OF WHICH HAVE BEEN SEEN* on the
amateur circuits.

The old rule for "third party" traffic was one "messages so trivial to
not justify the use of a commercial service."  Trivial messages of that
type - including position and ETA - don't need 2.8 KHz bandwidth or
56K+ data rates.

When the original PACTOR (and HF Packet) networks were used primarily
for NTS forwarding, 60/100/300 baud in 500 Hz was more than enough
bandwidth and data rate.  It is *only* the quasi-commercial operations
that benefit from this land grab.

If they succeed, amateur radio as we have known it for the 80 years
or more will cease to exist - enforcement is nonexistent on these
"systems".  The Commission has refused to look at the traffic for
30 years and ARRL has not only turned a blind eye, the have now
become a co-conspirator.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV