[RTTY] XP Support going QRT

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Tue Jan 7 14:03:03 EST 2014

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:52:17 -0700, Ken wrote:

>If my only exposure is to Telnet via DX Clusters do I have to worry about
>Virus, Malware et al.??
>Are Telnet connections safe from virus?

REPLY:

There are two main sources of viruses: Links on email and visits to an
unknown website. As long as you never do either one with your contest
computer you are pretty safe.

However.....

Two things you should do:

1. Install an anti-virus program and keep it up to date. AVG has a very good
free one.

2. Image your hard drive regularly, such as before each contest. I use
Macrium Reflect, the free version. When you have a disk image, you can
restore your computer to exactly the state it was before, therefore wiping
out any virus you may have contracted. Download at
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
There is a paid version with more bells and whistles but the free one does
everything I need. You can not save the image on the same drive you are
imaging so you will have to either create a separate partition on your C
drive or add a second hard drive. I would recommend adding a second external
USB hard drive for better redundancy in case your C drive fails.

73, Bill W6WRT