[RTTY] Icom Rigs For Contesting

Michael Zolno luv.myipad3 at me.com
Sat Jul 23 13:31:46 EDT 2016

Hi Peter,

Yes, it pays to shop around these days. The funny thing is that I was forced to get on PSK after I had clean sweep on CW for the 13 Colonies and WM3PEN by Friday night day 1, except for GB13COL as the UK picked a op that does CW verses a CW op. He did literally hours of digi-modes and then would call CQ, work a few stations and after a minute or two would go back to digi-modes. So in frustration, I looked around the junk box for an isolation transformer for audio to use with my transistor keying circuit. Fiddling with the ICOM menu, I stumbled across Data on, Data off menu and happen to scroll VFO knob and menu changed to USB. I then thought well I'm wasting time, lets see if we can get it to transmit on USB and voila, it did. I have not tried transmitting RTTY through USB since I have the keying circuit, and I think now I should try. I will look to the Yahoo group you spoke of.

I did not do any testing, but it is clear to me that the BW is not the very best (though perfectly adequate) and the purest will get significant increase using an ASUS Xonar U5/U7 or any of the newer external 192kHz sound cards for these modes. The fact that you don't have to buy an external box, signalink, rigblaster, etc should be advertised a bit more since many of the newly minted hams seem to gravitate to these sound card modes.

Their path is, in my observation, somewhat atypical to what was the path years ago. Speaking of my self, NAQP was the first RTTY I have done in 20+ years, and I had a blast! Back then it was with my PK232 at 200Hz AFSK. Though as a young commo soldier I can remember the AN/GRC-106, tuning forks and yellow paper reels of our TTY rig. What at first, seemed so difficult to get the tune and load meters aligned in a short period quickly became so easy.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the info. Have a great day!

All my best,

Mike

Sent from my iPad