[RTTY] RTTY Skimmer

Ian White gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 04:28:08 EDT 2016

K6LL wrote:
>In my experience, the VE3NEA RTTY Skimmers are much improved
>lately on spotting stations that are actually calling CQ.  I
>always connect to a CC-Cluster node, using CC-user Software,
>which seamlessly feeds N1MM Logger.  I think the CC Clusters do
>some filtering to validate spots from multiple skimmers.  My
>usual nodes are VE7CC-1 or AE5E-2.
>
>RTTY Skimmers have definitely come of age in the past 12 months.
>Many thanks to all those who are feeding the RBN, both CW and
>RTTY!

The quality of RTTY skimmer spots does continue to improve, but there is
still a significant 'leakage' of spots for stations that are replying to
a CQ.

Although "CQ" can appear at both the beginning and end of a text string,
it still should not be too difficult to parse an ambiguous fragment like
"GM3W CQ K6LL". One of the two spaces in that string will be a genuine,
synchronous RTTY <space> character; but the other will just be an
asynchronous gap between two different stations.

And above all: if there is any doubt, the skimmer should *not* spot! It
isn't a race between different skimmers, and there's sure to be another
CQ coming along shortly.

Another problem last weekend was that one specific skimmer (DF4UE-#) was
spotting consistently incorrect callsigns.

73 from Ian GM3SEK (@GM3W)