[SCCC] Southern California Edison Line Noise Response?

Dennis Younker ne6i at cox.net
Fri Mar 28 20:49:34 EST 2003

Dick,
I can't say that I have had any contact with utilities in over a decade
related to power line interference, but back in the late 1980s, when SCE
wasn't responsive to my requests, I simply mentioned that I had ruled out
other possible sources and had narrowed it down to SCE and that I was going
to report it to the FCC.  That seemed to get their attention.

Note that in one case, I did have to write a letter to the FCC.  At the
time, they took it very seriously.  They wrote to SCE and gave them a
specified time period to resolve the issue and report back.

There have been some good articles in QST and CQ over the years describing
how to locate the specific pole causing the interference.  It often helps to
do this in advance and then notify the utility of the exact pole.  The poles
all have metal ID tags on them (vertically mounted with a serial number).
The tag is usually mounted roughly at eye level.

As an aside, I found a lot of interesting things causing interference over
the years.  Waterbed heaters, electric fences, light dimmers, fluorescent
signs, refrigerators, and other things.  The farthest source I ever
personally found was a half mile away.  That one was an electric fence.

73, Dennis
NE6I