[SCCC] Intentional QRM

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Jan 14 08:41:47 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Art" <k6xt at arrl.net>
To: "Grand Mesa Contesters" <gmc at mailman.qth.net>; "SCCC"
<sccc at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:49 PM
Subject: [SCCC] Intentional QRM

> I'm mad. I'm going to be unpopular. Who cares, y'all say??
>
> This relates to contesting in the sense that a pileup is contesting,
> altho it's really DXing.
>
> Last night I had to work J5C 3 times to think I had one QSO. Not because
> I couldn't hear him. I just happened to choose a great freq where he
> could hear my call. So could the lids. All the lids and kids were
> calling on my freq  while I tried to complete the QSO. And I never did
> get a firm confirmation of contact, so had to work him again today.
>
> Now I'm on a tear. Listening on 80 to J5C tonight, specifically for
> butthead QRMers, was a lesson. N9OY. W6QUV. W7KNT. W0GG. N0VD. NI6T. A
> host of others, these lids had big sigs easily scanned for, not a one
> even remotely like the call J5C was replying to. I don't know ya, hope I
> never need to. Likely this will cost me acquaintances. Like I said, I'm
> mad.
>
> There were many posts recently about semi-intentional QRM, the recently
> accelerating trend to incessantly call when it is clear the DX is trying
> to complete a QSO with an entirely unrelated callsign, and exactly zero
> beat with the station the DX is trying to work....leaving no doubt the
> lid can actually hear the DX, so that the world knows you're a lid.
>
> Unacceptable conduct.

I've noticed this too, Art. W6QUV is particulary bad. Lately whenever I
have been working DX on 160, I have been recording everything just
so I can go back and try to determine how much was real and how much
was my imagination :-) The narrow filtered DX frequency gets recorded
in one channel (left) and the FT1K MKV wideband sub-receiver gets
recorded in the other (right). Thus you can go back and listen to the
hoards calling incessantly on the right channel. It took me several hours
to work 3X5A when they were active and one thing I noticed was that there
were probably at least 1/2 dozen stations who called them continuously that
whole time no matter who 3X5A was responding to. W6QUV was among
those and probably the worst offender. Personally I am embarassed if I
accidently call the DX when he is responding to someone else as it shows
that I can't hear or that I wasn't listening. Now when the DX says QRZ UP,
I am as agressive as anyone, but when he says K6XT? K6XT? or K6XT
599 599 in my mind that says the you won that round of the fight Art and
that I should stand down until you complete your QSO.

I guess the buttheads that just keep calling are the type of guys that
come up behind you on the freeway with their Hummers and think they
can push you off the road by riding 6 inches of your back bumper.
When someone does that to me, I just take my foot off the gas until they
get the message :-)