[SCCC] Wall Entry Solutions

Ray Day rayday at cox.net
Mon Nov 22 13:21:08 PST 2010

What I've done is to :

1. Cut a hole (circular) through both inner and outer walls, hole
diameter to match (tight fit) the O.D. (3" or more, depending on the
number and diameter of the coax cables and/or ground braids you want
to run) of a short length of PVC pipe; above floor level but below
desk-top height

2. Attach on each end of the pipe a PVC elbow, turned downward
(unless you want to have this double as a rain gauge)

3. The length of the pipe in #1 above is determined by what length
makes a nice snug elbow-to-wall contact, inside and outside

4. Coax is run through the PVC elbow-pipe-elbow and the
downward-facing elbows stuffed with steel wool to keep critters from getting in

Notes: a) RG-8/213 works fine, RG-8X even better, but good luck with hardline!
           b) If you fiddle with things a lot (I do) then attach the
elbows with screws/pins as opposed with PVC glue - this'll allow
disassembling the thing if you want to do creative things later - OR
have the PVC pipe about an inch "too long" and then you can get a
hacksaw to it later

Hope this helps... it's not "elegant," but does the job.

All the best,
Ray N6HE

ORIGINAL TEXT:

I would be interested in hearing what wall entry solutions SCCCers are using
for coax feed through.

I am aware of the MFJ window solution and may go that route, but I hate to
lose the window screen.

--Dennis, NE6I