[SCCC] Prep for CQWW

W6ph at aol.com W6ph at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 08:50:45 PST 2010

Conditions were a little weaker this morning on 40m LP but A71BX answered
my CQ with
a big signal at 15 UTC.  They will be active in CQWW as A73A.

But the upper bands showed some life.  My report yesterday may have been
more lack
of activity rather than low propagation.  Southern Europe was coming
through on 15m at
8 am local time.

Someone asked about my 15m WD8IXE beam.  (WD8IXE became N8SM and died a
few years back from a tower accident.)  I can't remember where I got the
dimensions
but it has gain equal to a PV4 (same boom length) but much better band
width.  I
have tried to "maximize" the design but keep coming back to the original
dimensions.
It seems to play well.  ZL8X was barely audible off the back and was S9+
when I
rotated the antenna to the southwest.

Have a good Thanksgiving and don't eat too much.

                                         73, Kurt, W6PH