[SCCC] [sddxcnews] CO8LY DX Station Destroyed By Hurricane Sandy [18 Attachments]

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 9 15:32:11 EST 2012

Thanks, Rich, for this update. I think we are all sympathetic and want to help Eduardo get back on the air. But Cuba is still a Group Z country embargoed by the US, so to send money directly or indirectly in any amounts may trigger civil or criminal enforcement actions against the US donors by the Treasury Dept's Office of Foreign Assets Control. (I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but I have represented clients to whom this happened. The enforcement actions are nasty and ugly and can cost ~$8,000 per donor in penalties, plus attorney fees for private representation.)

Helping Eduardo is a great idea, but someone has to apply to OFAC for a Special License for humanitarian purposes so US hams can contribute before it is safe to do so. If there already is such a license, please let us know.

73, Larry N6NC