[SCCC] W6PH CQWW SSB SOAB HP (TMI)

W6ph at aol.com W6ph at aol.com
Mon Oct 29 15:18:35 EDT 2012

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6PH
Operator(s):  W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA  (Inyo)
Operating Time (hrs): 38.2

160: 7 4 4
80: 61 17 29
40:  277 28 65
20: 367 34 96
15: 893 34 102
10: 471 28  98
------------------------------
Total: 2076 145 394 Total Score =  3,112,186

Comments:

Equipment: IC781 - AL1200
Antennas:
160m  Inv L (sort of)
80m Slopers below 3L 20 and 2L 40
40m 40-2CD at 60 feet  (AB-577 mast #1)
20m 3L yagi at 60 feet (AB-577 mast #2)
15m 5L yagi at 55  feet (AB-577 mast #3)
10m A3S at 45 feet (secondary antenna on 20 and  15)

My score is 15 per cent higher than last year despite band conditions  that
seemed worse than last year. Activity level is probably at an all time
high.
Conditions on 160m were non-existent. I checked the band often and  almost
nothing there. 80m reminded me of 160m in past years with weak signals  and
40m
reminded me of 80m in past years with lots of repeats on European
contacts. I
concentrated on 10m on Saturday in case the propagation  deteriorated there
on
Sunday. My impression is that this occurred as the  atmospheric background
noise was higher and signals seemed weaker on Sunday.  Fifteen meters was
the
productive band with lots of Asian contacts as well as  lots of
multipliers.
For the first time in my memory I had some very good  sustained runs to
Europe
on 15m and it was hard to decide whether to run or  look for multipliers. If
someone moved in close to the frequency I was using  making it difficult to
make
out callers, I would abandon running and tune  across the band for new
contacts
as well as multipliers. (I refrain from  using the term "my frequency" as no
one owns a frequency.)

I had put  up my antennas for the Cal QSO Party and left them up for this
contest. All  my antennas are temporary except for the A3S. I usually take
them down after  a contest but I was traveling and didn't have a chance.
These
AB-577 masts  are perfect for my level of contesting and I don't have to
climb
and they are  easy to erect and raise.

It was easy to decide when to sleep as the low  bands became non-productive
with
limited propagation and very few new  stations showing up.

I had two Murphy's that were minimal. On Saturday my  15m yagi rotator brake
wouldn't disengage despite trying to rock it. So I  left it pointing on
Europe
until the afternoon when I was able to move it  manually from the base to
Asia
for that opening. The A3S was used for the  other directions. For some
reason
it started working on Sunday. That was one  reason that I concentrated on
10m
on Saturday. That yagi is significantly  better than my A3S for getting