[SCCC] N6VI 70 cm Spring Sprint

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Fri Apr 24 01:22:47 EDT 2020

I decided to put the challenge out to our many ACS and ARES members who
don't use the 70 cm band for much except talking though linked repeater
systems.  Well over a dozen responded, although some were in locations I
could not reach.  Most said they were surprised at what they could hear or
at least what they learned about their stations.  I sense some antenna
improvements in the offing for these Hams.

I started on my triband vertical but realized  was missing some of the
horizontally polarized SSB stations.  After a half-hour I put up a short
yagi on a 6' pole on the porch and rolled some coax out the door to give me
a choice of horizontal or vertical.  That did help (as long as I remembered
to hit the switch whenever I changed modes).   I continued until just after
9:00 PM, when the action slowed considerably and I pulled the plug

Final result was 38 QSOs in four grids (I did not hear DM14) for a score of
152 points.

Newer Hams get excited to work non-locals, so thanks to Tim, Drew and others
who gave them some of that excitement.  We have just over seven weeks to the
ARRL June VHF Contest.  Given the possibility that multi-ops and roving may
still be restricted by the "stay-at-home" orders, perhaps the best use of
that weekend will be to get some of these newer Hams prepared to give the
additional bands a try.  Are there any in your area that you can guide and
encourage?

73,

Marty N6VI