[SCCC] 70 cm/23 cm Antenna Recommendations?

Steve Harrison k0xp at k0xp.com
Tue Aug 9 15:40:57 EDT 2022

Well, if you really wanted to work SSB/CW on 432 or especially 1296, you
would be at a large disadvantage, to begin with, using any
vertically-polarized antler, since those modes are horizontal. And
having 150 feet of feedline will exacerbate that problem considerably,
and even more-so if you wanted to also try 1296. I don't know what
polarization folks are using on the digital modes since I have no
interest in those, so can't help with that.

Most important thing, whichever mode or band you try, would be to keep
the feedline losses at a minimum; every little bit helps. At 1296 and
150 feet, even 1-5/8" heliax wouldn't  be "going too far". There are
coax loss calculators on the web to help estimate what you might expect.
You might even wind up wanting to install a mast-mounted preamp just so
you can hear folks.

SteveH K0XP