[SD-User] Access for visually impaired users

Brian Hartgen brian at hartgen.org
Tue Dec 2 03:53:51 EST 2008

Hi

I am the Product Development Manager for our company, T&t Consultancy Ltd.  One of the things we do is to create access to applications for visually impaired people using screen-reading technology.

We have been asked by a potential user of the SD application to create some script (configuration files) so that he can use his screen-reader, JAWS for Windows, with SD.

Currently, SD (in my very limited experience of the program) does not function at all well with JAWS.  For example, when you use the cursor keys to review the text which has been written, JAWS will not vocalise the text.  None of the options are announced correctly so the user does not know what is on screen, etc.

Creating scripts for anyone is a costly exercise and frankly we will only be able to script a small part of the program on a bespoke basis for this user.  It seems to me that it is far more productive to ensure the program is accessible for everyone from a developmental standpoint rather than us creating scripts.

Questions:
1. Is anyone using the program with JAWS for Windows?
2. Is anyone using the program with any screen-reader?
3. Does anyone please have details of the author of the program so that we might enter into a dialog about making applications accessible to Assistive Technology users?

Thank you.

Brian Hartgen